The associate director of communications will be responsible for outreach with media, community, and other partners within Illinois and nationally, helping to introduce, establish, and promote ProPublica Illinois and ProPublica, consistent with our editorial mission and core values. On a day-to-day basis, the associate director will spearhead outreach surrounding our stories, from pitching media outlets to developing content for social media campaigns to ensuring that key audiences and stakeholders are made aware of our work.
Our ideal candidate is someone with proven marketing savvy who is passionate about journalism that serves the public interest. This role will report to the Director of PR as a member of the ProPublica communications team and will work closely with the editor in chief of ProPublica Illinois.
- Pitch online, TV, radio, and print publications; strengthen and grow new and existing media relationships across various mediums and channels; respond to in-bound media requests on behalf of the organization
- Use analytics and savvy news judgement to identify and maximize outreach opportunities for stories
- Develop and execute social media campaigns related to editorial, events, and other initiatives, in collaboration with the Audience team
- Write press releases and other public-facing materials about our work; respond to media requests; compile media clips; contribute to our annual and periodic reports to stakeholders; and prepare award submissions
- Provide additional communications support to editorial and development staff, including:
- Work with editorial leaders to communicate publication goals, strategy, and culture to press
- Help arrange strategic external speaking opportunities for staff (including both media appearances and live events) and assist with the development, execution and promotion for local events
- Support development team, as needed, on programming and promoting fundraising events and activities, and reviewing fundraising communications materials
- 3+ years experience in communications, marketing, public relations, or social media roles, including at least some for a news organization
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable news judgment and experience vetting/verifying information on deadline
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and environment
- Strong team player with a desire to collaborate with others
- Strong organizational and time management skills
This full-time position will be based in our Chicago office, located in the Loop. Occasional nights and weekends may be required.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven’t thought of, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer. A strong track record will go far in our eyes.
You can apply using this form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, we are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.