We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
The chief product and brand officer will oversee the vision and execution of ProPublica’s websites, mobile apps and newsletters, as well as its public outreach efforts.
We’re looking for an ambitious leader with extensive newsroom experience who deeply understands both the business and editorial sides of running a nonprofit journalism site. This individual should possess the skills outlined below, plus the sophistication and agility to work with internal groups and constituencies. The ideal candidate thrives on growing and iterating products, which will sharpen the ProPublica brand and help our journalism make an impact across multiple platforms.
ProPublica is embarking on its first strategic planning process in 2022 and this position will play a key role in that work. The chief product and brand officer will report to ProPublica’s president and co-CEO, but will also work closely and collaboratively with editorial leaders.
In This Role, You Will:
Lead and supervise the growth and analysis of ProPublica’s overall publishing platform in conjunction with the technology and news leadership teams:
- Lead and develop road maps and strategies for all ProPublica products, including (but not limited to) websites, mobile apps, newsletters and the data store.
- Work with the director of audience strategy to ensure that the vision and goals are clear and that metrics are established for growing and retaining audience.
- Set key performance metrics and integrate analytics into strategic decision-making.
- Oversee development of management-level analytics reports for staff, leadership and the board.
- Track long-term trends in growth and performance across websites, mobile apps, newsletters and third-party platforms for potential opportunities and challenges.
- Monitor external trends to identify opportunities and risks.
Develop and execute earned income strategies and tactics, including advertising, data sales and events:
- Oversee all digital advertising relationships, including programmatic and premium ad network partnerships for website, newsletters and third-party platforms (e.g. Apple News).
- Negotiate revenue and other terms for content licensing/syndication across web, print and audio platforms, in conjunction with the audience team.
- Prepare proposals for corporate contributors, in partnership with newsroom and development staff, in support of new and special initiatives.
Supervise external communications and brand management:
- Oversee the day-to-day work of our public relations, marketing and events staff, advising on strategy and tactics for amplifying the reach and impact of our journalism.
- Identify partnership, product and collaboration opportunities across the organization and broker relationships with key parties.
- Monitor the external media environment, in conjunction with PR staff, to identify emerging trends, opportunities and challenges to our work.
Oversee management of other critical strategic projects as necessary:
- Provide key strategic guidance and support for team leaders across the organization, convening meetings, conducting research and setting goals.
We’re Looking for Someone Who …
- Has a proven track record of identifying strategic opportunities and managing teams to implement their vision accordingly.
- Thrives on setting and achieving ambitious goals for themselves and their teams.
- Has experience building audiences for mission-driven public-interest work.
- Is a savvy data analyst, able to identify opportunities, gaps and emerging problems to refine and improve goals.
- Is familiar with at least some of the tools we use — including (but not limited to) Chartbeat, Craft CMS, Google Analytics, Google Docs, Outlook, Sailthru, Semrush and SocialFlow — and has ideas about others we should be using.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site. If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Send questions to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.