We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is hiring a Director of Public Relations to amplify the reach and impact of its journalism. The person in this role will be responsible for outreach to media organizations to highlight ProPublica’s award-winning journalism, managing partnerships, responding to media requests, and supporting speaking engagements, staff media appearances, and other day-to-day PR needs. The Director will join a small communications team and as such, will be responsible for the day-to-day execution of these responsibilities, as well as the strategy. Our ideal candidate is someone with proven PR experience who is passionate about journalism that serves the public interest.
This role reports to the Vice President of Business Development and oversees the ProPublica Illinois PR & Marketing Associate, based in Chicago.
- Develop and execute PR campaigns for major projects/series, including crafting story angles and pitches targeted to diverse national, local and industry-specific media outlets in support of ProPublica’s impact goals.
- Pitch online, TV, radio, and print publications; strengthen and grow new and existing media relationships across various mediums and channels.
- Assist in the organization of speaking engagements, panels, screenings, and other events as applicable.
- Partner with Audience and Development teams to ensure cohesive messaging and maximum exposure for ProPublica’s work.
- Develop talking points, press releases, press lists and other materials as needed.
- Support newsroom in identifying potential collaboration opportunities or publishing partners.
- Work with editorial leaders to communicate publication goals, strategy, and culture to press.
- Pitch trade press stories that highlight important innovations, milestones, initiatives, and product launches.
- Respond to in-bound media requests on behalf of the organization.
- Manage external contractors to prepare award submissions.
- Manage online press site to keep lists of partners and awards up to date.
- Work closely with Production & Design teams to manage creative assets for press purposes.
- Manage in-bound requests for content licensing.
- Oversee creation and dissemination of coverage reports that are circulated to executives, Board, fundraising, and newsroom staff.
- Support external partners with questions about ProPublica’s collaboration model, including Creative Commons or publishing partnerships.
- Provide additional PR support as needed, such as helping arrange strategic external speaking opportunities for staff; scheduling and managing student, industry-group, or media visit logistics; and assisting with execution and promotion for local events.
- 5+ years experience in public relations or marketing roles, including at least some for a news organization
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable news judgment and experience vetting/verifying information on deadline
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and environment
- Strong team player with a desire to collaborate with others
- Strong organizational and time management skills
This full-time position will be based in our New York office.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven’t thought of, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer. A strong track record will go far in our eyes.
You can apply using this form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, we are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Email [email protected].