We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica and The Texas Tribune are hiring an engagement reporter to join our new investigative unit based in Austin. This individual will be instrumental in identifying communities interested in and affected by our accountability journalism, enlisting their participation in our storytelling process and reporting stories in service of these communities.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Pitching projects to engage diverse audiences in the unit’s investigative journalism
- Leading and sharing community research
- Editing and managing audience callouts in collaboration with reporters
- Reporting stories that result from community outreach and engagement
- Moderating community discussions, online and through in-person events
You should apply if you:
- Have experience organizing communities and activating people around civic issues, either digitally or in real life
- Have a passion for public interest journalism, keen news judgement and experience writing and reporting on deadline
- Have journalism experience, either locally or nationally, especially doing stories that shed light on injustices; you don’t need fancy bylines, but you should have baseline reporting chops
- Are at home on the internet and see comments as an opportunity to learn and engage audiences
- Have experience setting and meeting audience engagement goals both qualitative and quantitative
- Are highly organized and ready to jump into a fast-paced, collaborative newsroom
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Our newsrooms are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
This reporter will be on the Texas Tribune payroll but will work with and for editors and staffers at both news organizations. The job is based in the Tribune newsroom in Austin, and it reports to Bobby Blanchard, assistant director for audience at the Tribune. We are not considering remote applicants for this position. The job is full time and includes Texas Tribune benefits.