We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is an award-winning independent nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force. We dig deep into important issues, shining a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust — and we stick with those issues as long as it takes to hold power to account. With a team of more than 100 dedicated journalists across the country, we produce reporting that has contributed to the passage of new laws; reversals of harmful policies and practices; and accountability for leaders at local, state and national levels.
ProPublica is seeking a self-motivated and well-organized finance/accounting professional to join our New York headquarters in the role of finance associate. This position reports to the associate finance manager and will be part of a five-person finance team responsible for an annual operating budget of approximately $40 million. This role will work in close partnership not only with finance, but also with development and newsroom staff. The finance associate will play a critical role to support the monthly financial close process, ensuring that all related transactions are processed in a timely and accurate manner.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years bookkeeping experience in an office setting. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment is a must. Excellent organizational ability demonstrated in meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in a cooperative and self-directed manner are also critical. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel, and basic bookkeeping skills are required. Knowledge of QuickBooks and expense report management systems is a plus.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Responsibility for all aspects of accounts payable, including entering invoices and processing bill payments.
- Depositing incoming checks and recording related transactions.
- Expense reimbursement processing, including review of reports and documentation and coding of expenses for import into QuickBooks.
- Other data entry, including allocation of invoices across departments and various journal entries.
- Maintenance and organization of finance files.
- General financial administrative support, including vendor relationship management, and research related to finance/accounting concerns.
- Downloading monthly statements and conducting basic account reconciliations.
- Acting as back up to the associate finance manager as needed.
- Ad hoc finance projects upon request.
The finance associate is a full-time position based in New York City with work occurring during typical weekday business hours. Work will be both remote and in-person, with an expectation of three days per week at ProPublica’s office in west SoHo.
Please send a resume and cover letter by applying through this link.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Questions? Send them to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.