ProPublica is looking for a journalist who can code to join our award-winning news applications team through December 2021.
As a news apps developer, you’ll be collaborating with reporters in our newsroom to imagine, report out, design and develop graphics and news apps, like our database of complaints against NYPD officers or maps of how climate change will alter the United States. You’ll get to work alongside the rest of the news apps team, as well as our incredible data team.
Does this sound like the kind of work you’d be excited to do? If so, you should consider applying.
What you’ll do here:
- Design and develop interactive graphics and news apps to hold the powerful accountable and have real impact on the public.
- Wrangle data, including FOIAing for it, scraping it, cleaning it, analyzing it and preparing it for publication.
- Interrogate databases to find trends, patterns and outliers.
- Bulletproof and spot-check data work done by other journalists on the team.
- Collaborate with ProPublica’s journalists on how to best use, visualize and tell stories with data.
- Work with the best news nerds on the planet on some of the biggest and most innovative projects in investigative and data journalism. ⚡
We’re looking for someone with some of the following skills:
- Experience designing and developing interactive graphics or databases from scratch.
- Experience with backend technologies, like Python/Django or Ruby/Rails.
- Experience with data journalism, whether it’s collecting hard-to-get data off the internet or cleaning and analyzing data in your favorite tool of choice, such as Python, SQL or R.
- Journalism experience, either locally or nationally, especially involving stories that shed light on injustices or that cover marginalized communities.
- Ability to spin many plates. You may be working on several different projects at once. You’ll need to stay organized, focused and proactive.
- The self-discipline to work independently, as well as an eagerness to work with teammates on collaborative projects.
- A love for details and making things.
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
To apply, fill out this form. The deadline is Sunday, Nov. 1, at 11:59 p.m. PST.
We cannot emphasize this enough: Great projects from your portfolio are the most important part of the application.
We’re flexible on where this job is located. Much of the news apps team was remote before the pandemic, and we functionally still are. Please note this job is a full-time position on a temporary basis until Dec. 31, 2021, and includes benefits.
Got questions? Email [email protected].
No phone calls, please.