We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
As the United States faces a pandemic, a reckoning on racial injustice, an unfolding economic crisis and an upcoming election, the job of investigative journalism has never been more critical. To help us dig deeper, we are looking for someone experienced and collegial to lead ProPublica’s research team.
ProPublica has a variety of specialized teams that operate as newsroom experts in their respective fields. Our research team works with reporters to find documents and information, whether they’re on commercial databases such as Westlaw or in obscure corners of the internet.
We’re looking for a research editor who...
- Has news judgment and experience working in a newsroom setting, preferably in investigations.
- Is comfortable or has experience leading a team.
- Has experience evaluating and negotiating contracts for databases.
- Preferably has some data skills and proficiency in languages other than English — especially Spanish. A background in library science may be helpful.
- Wants to bring an accountability lens to the issues of the day through quick-turnaround investigations as well as longer projects.
- Really likes working with others. We are a highly collaborative newsroom, both across our team and with other news organizations. We believe we do our best work together.
We don’t expect everyone to have all these skills. And we know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of the ProPublica staff.) We’re committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form. The deadline for applications is Sept. 25.
The job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica is based in New York City, but we are open to remote applicants. We are also open to relocating you in accordance with our policies.