We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is seeking an editor who will establish and shape the work of a world-class reporting team focused on wide-ranging, international coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic and potential future outbreaks. This team’s reporting will center on accountability questions including: Is the world taking the steps needed to end this pandemic and prepare for the next global health threat? Stories could include investigating driving factors for the next pandemic, the state of surveillance to catch new infectious diseases, biosafety at cutting-edge research labs and funding for prevention and preparedness.
What You Would Be Doing:
- Overseeing a team that includes a deputy serving in a player-coach role to help with story selection and project management, three reporters, a data reporter and a news applications developer, all of whom will be working on revelatory, important stories and projects.
- Collaborating across the newsroom and with publishing partners on projects that can take a variety of forms, from newspaper-style takeouts to magazine, radio and TV pieces, often accompanied by groundbreaking interactive databases.
We’re Looking for Someone With:
- A strong track record of delivering investigations about abuses of power — either as a reporter or editor — especially on stories involving health, public health or global issues.
- The ability to think ambitiously about multipart projects and to help guide journalists to meet those goals.
- New ideas, experiences, backgrounds and viewpoints to expand and elevate ProPublica’s coverage.
- A collaborative mindset. Everybody at ProPublica has their own superpower, and we do our best work together.
- An eagerness to experiment with how we tell stories and a willingness to consider all the ways an investigation can be presented, whether it be with interactives, text, visuals or any other tools.
Prior management experience, either formal or informal, is a plus but not required.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica is based in New York, but we’re open to remote candidates if the fit is right. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
We will begin reviewing applications on April 11, but will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site.
Questions? Send an email to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.