We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
At ProPublica, we’re all about receipts. In every story we publish, we strive to build narratives around incontrovertible pieces of evidence, meticulously fact-checked and presented as clearly as possible.
We focus on social platforms not to drive traffic, but as editorial products in their own right. Time and again, we’ve found that the most succinct and fascinating social objects are those that power the stories themselves: the receipts.
Whether it’s obscure tax documents, jailhouse letters, children’s drawings or leaked audio, we like to let whatever primary documents our stories are built around speak for themselves. It’s harder than it looks, but it makes all the difference when executed correctly.
So, in 2020, ProPublica’s audience team will double down on bringing the receipts to the people — and we need a clever visual storyteller to help us do it.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborating with reporters and editors to go through documents and evidence, identifying what to share in the most interesting and transparent way possible.
- Consulting with our news apps team to help make our award-winning databases and interactives even more accessible and shareable.
- Reading drafts and identifying visual storytelling opportunities.
- Developing charts, animations, embeds and other visualizations, and strategizing on how best to use them across platforms.
- Producing multiplatform content that gives insight into why a story matters, as well as how we reported it
Skills we’re interested in:
- Graphic design (infographic design experience is also a plus)
- Video editing and animation
- Design for social platforms
- Synthesizing complex stories
- Writing and editing
- Project management
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of the ProPublica staff.) We’re committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form.
The job is full time, includes benefits and is based in our New York office.