LISTEN: Jake Bernstein on the NOTW Phone Hacking Scandal
The UK's News of the World phone hacking scandal has proven to be a treasure trove of unethical and unlawful practices. With seven resignations, 10 arrests and near 4,000 phone hacking victims so far, the drama from across the pond has shocked the world over. However, as ProPublica's Jake Bernstein explains on WNYC's On The Media, this scandal could also be breaking U.S. law.
"It's possible that News Corp. ran afoul of a 1970s era law called the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Bernstein says. "This was something that came out of the Watergate era, and it's to stop companies from participating in bribery overseas."
This law has become quite popular with the Department of Justice and the SEC. Just last year there were 54 such cases, resulting in about $530 million for the SEC in corporate settlements.
You can listen to the interview below, and read the transcript from the episode as well.
Bernstein was also a guest on WNYC's The Brian Lehrer Show to further discuss the phone hacking scandal in relation to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. He was joined by Jeff Jarvis of buzzmachine.com in an interview you can listen to below. You can also read Bernstein's related ProPublica investigation, Damned If You Do or Don't: How Murdoch Reporters' Bribes to British Cops Violate U.S. Law.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Derek Willis to Join ProPublica’s Politics Team
- ProPublica, New York Times to Host Talk on Role of Data in Reporting on Race
- Topher Sanders to Cover Racial Inequality for ProPublica
- Slate’s Alec MacGillis to Cover Politics for ProPublica
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.