Moyers & Company Report on the New Temp Economy
This year, ProPublica reporter Michael Grabell has been working on an investigative series called “Temp Land: Working in the New Economy.” His feature piece, co-published with Time, showed how temporary positions have become a mainstay of the US economy, often replacing good blue-collar jobs and benefits with permanent temp work. Another story, done in conjunction with Marketplace, revealed the underworld of labor brokers, known has “raiteros,” who recruit temps and effectively act as agents for the workers.
In a new report, Bill Moyers & Company producer Karla Murthy spoke with Grabell and visited members of the Chicago Workers Collaborative to show how some workers have suffered injuries on their jobs, but are reluctant to file a worker’s comp claim for fear of being rejected for future assignments.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.