Moyers & Company Report on the New Temp Economy
This year, ProPublica reporter Michael Grabell has been working on an investigative series called “Temp Land: Working in the New Economy.” His feature piece, co-published with Time, showed how temporary positions have become a mainstay of the US economy, often replacing good blue-collar jobs and benefits with permanent temp work. Another story, done in conjunction with Marketplace, revealed the underworld of labor brokers, known has “raiteros,” who recruit temps and effectively act as agents for the workers.
In a new report, Bill Moyers & Company producer Karla Murthy spoke with Grabell and visited members of the Chicago Workers Collaborative to show how some workers have suffered injuries on their jobs, but are reluctant to file a worker’s comp claim for fear of being rejected for future assignments.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Daniel Golden to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch “Electionland”
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.