Presidential Pardons: Shades of Mercy Ebook Available Today
Today, Open Road Media releases an ebook version of ProPublica’s “Presidential Pardons: Shades of Mercy” series. Written by Dafna Linzer and Jennifer LaFleur, the investigation explored the unintended consequences of President Bush’s attempt to take politics out of the pardon process. The new system, which is still in place under President Obama, has resulted in white criminals being almost four times as likely to receive a presidential pardon than people of color. The story also reveals how applicants who have support from a member of Congress triple their chances of receiving mercy from the executive branch.
The ebook contains a new introduction by Linzer about how she got started on the story, as well as an afterword on our research methodology, and additional charts and graphics.
The ebook comes on the heels of political leaders seeking reform and improvements in the process. Earlier this year, the House Judiciary Committee asked Attorney General Eric Holder tough questions about ProPublica’s investigation and what his plans were to change the pardon process. And former Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich is seeking support for a new law clinic that will aid and improve the pardon system.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Reporter Pamela Colloff to Write Jointly for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine
- ProPublica Launches Health Care API with Data from Major Investigations
- Alexandra Zayas to Join ProPublica as Senior Editor
- Talia Buford to Cover Disparities in Environmental Impacts for ProPublica
- Louise Kiernan Named Editor-in-Chief of ProPublica Illinois
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.