ProPublica Wins Four Deadline Club Awards
Four ProPublica projects won Deadline Club awards, announced at a Tuesday night ceremony in New York City. The annual contest honors the best work by journalists in the New York City area:
Insult to Injury, a joint project by ProPublica’s Michael Grabell and Lena Groeger, and NPR’s Howard Berkes, won the public service award. Their reporting exposed how state after state has been dismantling America’s workers’ compensation system.
Surgeon Scorecard by Marshall Allen, Olga Pierce, Sisi Wei and Amanda Zamora won the award for science, technology, medical or environmental reporting. Their investigation and searchable database lifted the curtain on the complication rates of more than 16,000 surgeons nationwide, making the information public for the first time.
The Color of Debt, an analysis of stark racial disparities in debt collection lawsuits by Paul Kiel and Annie Waldman, won the minority focus award.
An Unbelievable Story of Rape, a collaboration by ProPublica’s T. Christian Miller and The Marshall Project’s Ken Armstrong, won the award for newspaper or digital feature reporting. The suspenseful narrative tells the account of a failed police investigation and the hunt for a serial rapist.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Peter Elkind and Nick Varchaver to Join ProPublica Staff
- Reporter Ken Armstrong to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Illinois Announces More Hires
- ProPublica Illinois Announces Additional News Hires
- ProPublica Hires Reporter Hannah Dreier to Cover Immigration
- ProPublica Illinois Builds News Staff with Three Noted Journalists
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.