VIDEO: Kim Barker Discusses Dark Money Groups on Face the Nation
On Sunday, ProPublica's Kim Barker was on CBS Face the Nation to discuss her new investigation on 501(c)(4)s and the tactics they use to underreport their political activities to the IRS. Already these nonprofit groups have spent more than $71 million on TV advertisements under the guise of "education" or "issue advocacy," trumping all super PACs combined.
"Nobody's actually talking about it," Barker said on the program. "It's just sort of accepted that this is the way it is. You have all of this anonymous money coming in and there's nothing we can do about it...We've seen it since 2010, we're going to see it to a much greater extent in 2012."
Barker was also on Democracy Now! and WNYC's The Brian Lehrer Show this morning to talk about dark money groups and how they exploit their tax-exempt status to keep the identity of their donors hidden. You can read her article, How Nonprofits Spend Millions on Elections and Call it Public Welfare, and all of ProPublica's reporting on Campaign 2012 on our series page.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Forums at Washington Univ. & New America to Focus on ProPublica’s “Color of Debt,” Policy Solutions
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.