Webinar: How to Use Prescriber Checkup to Power Your Reporting
Last week, ProPublica hosted a conference call on our latest news application, Prescriber Checkup, and how journalists can use it to power their own localized reporting. You can watch a segment of the call below.
Prescriber Checkup makes it easy to search for doctors and other healthcare providers who are active in Medicare's prescription drug program, Part D, which currently serves more than 35 million Americans. You can use it to find out how many prescriptions individual doctors wrote, which drugs were prescribed, and their most-prescribed drugs. The tool also allows you to compare your doctors to others in his/her specialty, by state, or by medication – all information that wasn't made public until ProPublica's Freedom of Information request.
ProPublica's main story: Medicare Drug Program Fails to Monitor Prescribers, Putting Seniors and Disabled at Risk
- FAQ: What You Need to Know About Prescriber Checkup
- Our methodology: How We Analyzed Medicare's Drug Data
Examples of Localized Reporting:
- NBC New York: NYC Targets Pain Pills as Latest Health Scourge
Dayton Daily News: Medicare drug tab $2.55B for older and disabled Ohioans
- Charleston Gazette: Charleston doctor is W.Va.'s top prescriber of hydrocodone
The Lane Report: Could Medicare Part D be an inadvertant enabler of prescription drug abuse?
If you're a journalist that would like to be notified of future webinars, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Lisa Song to Cover the Environment for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.