This position is no longer available.
ProPublica is seeking a director of online fundraising and outreach to create and implement a strategic online fundraising plan. ProPublica’s online giving program saw dramatic growth at the end of 2016; the Director will leverage this exciting opportunity to sustain and build on this growth and increase revenue through online channels. The Director will work with the development department and the editorial engagement team to convert website and social media audiences to donors and newsletter subscribers, to steward our current pool of online donors, and to build our significant monthly giving program.
The Director will join a small fundraising department and as such, will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the online giving program, as well as strategy. The Director will report to the Vice President of Development.
- Develop and execute online fundraising campaigns, including renewals, monthly giving, year-end giving, and other special appeals
- Grow and segment lists, cultivating donors and prospects for fundraising success
- Write and edit copy for email communications, online advertising, social media, website content, other marketing/fundraising materials aimed at increasing donations
- Collaborate with the design, business development, and engagement teams to optimize landing and donation pages and implement testing plans to improve performance and increase income
- Analyze data from website and Pardot analytics, and use to improve operations
- Sustain and grow online giving and monthly giving programs with particular focus on converting newsletter subscribers
- Manage vendors, as needed, for online marketing and outreach efforts
- Collaborate with Salesforce database manager to streamline integration of communications systems with the database and maintain data integrity
- Collaborate with development staff to develop reports to analyze and track performance of the online giving program
- Implement email set-up, production, and delivery
- Other projects, as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree is required
- Substantial experience with online marketing, direct mail, and cross-channel marketing in for-profit or nonprofit settings is highly desirable
- Solid understanding of internet tools, processes and techniques for fundraising, donor development, list building, and social networking
- Proven ability to write for an online audience at a professional level
- Solid understanding of best practices for website optimization, search engine marketing, and social media advertising
- Experience with databases, audience segmentation and data integration. Experience with Salesforce and Pardot highly desirable
- Proven ability to work effectively across departments; strong interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet deadlines
- A high level of expertise combined with a can-do attitude; willingness and ability to formulate a plan and personally implement down to smallest details
ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. Our work focuses exclusively on truly important stories, stories with “moral force.” We do this by producing journalism that shines a light on exploitation of the weak by the strong and on the failures of those with power to vindicate the trust placed in them.
In 2014, ProPublica received a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions. Of seven Pulitzers awarded to digital news organizations, ProPublica has won three, most recently in 2016. ProPublica is supported primarily by philanthropy and offers its articles for republication, both through its website and directly to leading news organizations selected for maximum impact.
ProPublica is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities. This position is based in our newsroom headquarters in New York City. It is full-time with benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to DevelopmentJobs@propublica.org.