We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is looking for two Story Production fellows to be part of our expanded Local Reporting Network, our ongoing initiative to support local journalism. These are yearlong paid positions beginning in July, with benefits, and are based in our New York office.
This is not a typical production job! You will work as part of our story production team to optimize readers’ experience of our journalism across all platforms using outstanding multimedia, and to foster communication and collaboration across our newsroom and with our partners. You will be at the epicenter of one of the most exciting journalism projects in the country.
Skills we’re looking for:
- The ability to coordinate among multiple parties to plan, schedule and execute projects
- Experience working with photography and illustration, with an eye toward technical execution and inclusive representation
- Familiarity with visual design tools like Photoshop, Sketch.app, etc.
- A good working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Familiarity working with a modern web-based CMS like WordPress or Craft
- A commitment to being a great colleague and respectful human being
ProPublica’s story production team is unlike any other newsroom’s. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Field and prioritize design and production requests from our partner newsrooms
- Coordinate with reporters, editors and fellows at partner newsrooms and ProPublica to help us stay up to date on LRN projects
- Commission freelance photographers and illustrators on editorial assignments
- Look for opportunities to add thoughtful interactive elements that enhance stories
- Format final copy for the CMS, including coordinating with reporters and editors to help move drafts and final copy through the editing process
Do you have something else you’d like to bring to this job? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us about how you see your skills amplifying what we need from this role. We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The ideal applicant cares deeply about editorial content and is a thoughtful, passionate advocate for the user. They are also organized and detail-oriented.
What you should send us:
Send us a link to your portfolio. If you don’t have a portfolio, please send links or screenshots of projects you’ve worked on or contributed to in some way and describe your role in detail. You don’t have to have been the lead. We want to know what worked, what might not have and how your contribution fit into the context of what was needed for the project.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages, and we’re taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
This is not a data journalism or reporting job, but you will interact with people doing that kind of work every day.
Fill out this form to apply. The deadline to apply is Monday, June 10, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. We’ll start reviewing applications right after.