We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force and that was founded with the belief that investigative journalism is critical to our democracy. We dig deep into important issues, shining a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust — and we keep digging for as long as it takes to hold power to account. We focus on stories with the potential to spur real-world impact. Among other positive changes, our reporting has contributed to the passage of new laws, reversals of harmful policies and practices, and accountability for leaders at local, state and national levels.
About the Position
ProPublica is seeking an experienced prospect researcher, who is also versed in moves management and pipeline analytics, to join a dynamic team responsible for raising over $40 million a year in philanthropic support. This new position is a unique opportunity to help define and execute a strategy for expanding the organization’s network of major donors.
Reporting to the director of development services, the assistant director is responsible for managing all aspects of prospect research while populating and maintaining the health of ProPublica’s major donor prospect pipeline.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Drive the donor identification and qualification process by providing comprehensive screening and research of prospects, elevating new potential donors and opportunities to deepen relationships with existing donors.
- Implement standardized procedures for fielding prospect research requests and disseminating research.
- Fulfill timely research requests for leadership as requested, providing thorough, digestible and actionable summaries that enable effective relationship building.
- Use a variety of resources (i.e., Wealth Engine, Salesforce, Nexis) to assess potential donors’ capacity and propensity to donate, as well as to identify upgrade potential and opportunities for current donors.
- Make recommendations for appropriate research sources, vendors and professional development programs and manage relationships as needed.
- Drive the moves management process by working closely with the major gifts team, attending regular pipeline meetings and working with the team to set and meet key metrics.
- Manage and maintain Salesforce reports, dashboards, tracking systems and lists to monitor fundraising performance, prospect analysis and portfolio upkeep.
- Recommend and implement best practices in pipeline management, including but not limited to workflow process management, database upkeep and automated prompts for excellent relationship stewardship.
- Write detailed prospect briefings for fundraising-related meetings and functions attended by development staff and leadership.
- Minimum of five years professional experience.
- Substantial prospect research and management experience with a proven track record of being a key member of a successful development team
- Collaborative work ethic and keen ability to track and report out progress and results to management and senior leadership.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven experience working with a close-knit development team.
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and synthesize complex data and analytics to make evidence-based judgments.
- Well-developed writing, research and proofreading/editing skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively across teams and time zones, and with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Must be proficient in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office suite and have expertise with fundraising databases, preferably Salesforce.
- Experience and expertise with prospect research tools such as WealthEngine, iWave, Nexis, etc.
- Must be committed to building a respectful, welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Exposure to the field of journalism is a plus.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica is headquartered in New York, but we have offices across the country and will consider remote applicants. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected salary range for this full-time position is $95,000 to $125,000. This is a good-faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person’s experience, accomplishments and location. ProPublica is committed to paying its staff equitably, and these ranges should not be considered career salary limits or caps.
Please apply here: http://www.on-ramps.com/open-positions/3033
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
On-Ramps is a full-service search and consulting firm that serves innovative, mission-driven organizations. Like ProPublica, On-Ramps is deeply committed to equity. They believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and identities come together with a common purpose.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact [email protected].