We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force and that was founded with the belief that investigative journalism is critical to our democracy. We dig deep into important issues, shining a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust — and we keep digging for as long as it takes to hold power to account. We focus on stories with the potential to spur real-world impact. Among other positive changes, our reporting has contributed to the passage of new laws, reversals of harmful policies and practices, and accountability for leaders at local, state and national levels.
ProPublica is embarking on a new five-year strategic plan to scale our newsroom and deepen impact even further. We are making bold investments to expand our coverage to new beats and geographic perspectives and to broaden our reach to meet more people where they are. Our vision is to create a truly national newsroom, with journalists across the country working tirelessly to shed light on injustice in communities big and small. This position will play an integral role in inspiring and growing philanthropic support for these initiatives to ensure ProPublica’s financial health long term.
Part of the new plan calls for an expansion of the development team and the hiring of two leadership gifts positions: deputy director of leadership gifts (location flexible) and assistant director of Western leadership gifts (Pacific Northwest).
About the Position
ProPublica seeks an experienced development professional to join its successful and growing development team as deputy director of leadership gifts in support of its groundbreaking accountability journalism. The deputy director is a new position that will play a lead role in cultivating and expanding ProPublica’s network of major donors. Reporting to the director of leadership gifts, the deputy director will manage and grow a portfolio of individual major donors and prospects, soliciting gifts in support of newsroom operations and strategic priorities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Execute a Major Gifts Strategy
- Working closely with the director of leadership gifts, develop ambitious revenue targets that increase year over year with plans to implement and meet these goals.
- Devise strategies to identify existing donors with additional capacity and deepen relationships.
- Proactively identify, qualify and cultivate prospects with capacity to give five- and six-figure gifts.
- Work closely with the individual giving team to determine which strategies are most impactful; refine and improve approaches based on analyses and insights.
- Create compelling personalized and customized donor collateral, communications, solicitations and materials.
Cultivate and Steward Major Donors
- Manage a portfolio of major donors and prospects to cultivate, solicit and close gifts in support of ProPublica’s organizational priorities.
- Develop a thorough understanding of ProPublica’s existing funding relationships and identify opportunities for ongoing and increased support.
- Conduct prospect research and prepare donor profiles and meeting briefings related to individual donors.
- Assist in launching and managing major donor circles, working with colleagues to ensure the donor circle experience is compelling and meaningful.
- Assist in planning and developing substantive experiences for groups of donors, both virtual and in person.
Process and Project Management
- Participate in ongoing portfolio review processes in collaboration with the director of development services and other stakeholders to maintain a moves management system in the Salesforce database.
- Provide timely and accurate reports on all fundraising activities.
- Work with colleagues and ensure they have the necessary information to effectively co-manage donors, as appropriate.
- At least seven years of professional experience, with minimum five years experience building long-term relationships with donors and soliciting and closing gifts above $50,000 and managing a portfolio of 100+ current and prospective donors.
- Demonstrated success moving prospective donors through a pipeline, from identification, research and qualification, to cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Ability to to travel to meet with and solicit donors as necessary; capacity to work effectively across teams and time zones.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven experience creating persuasive and compelling cases for support and conveying complex issues to diverse audiences and the ability to articulate ProPublica’s mission to prospective donors to inspire enthusiasm for its work and goals.
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Collaborative work ethic with the ability to work with others to steward donors and experience in tracking and reporting to peers, management and senior leadership.
- Experience executing successful capital and/or multiyear fundraising campaigns and experience with major donor giving is a plus.
- Must be proficient in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office suite and have familiarity with fundraising databases, preferably Salesforce.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica is based in New York, but we have offices across the country and will consider remote applicants. Candidates located in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C., are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected salary range for this position is $125,000 to $145,000.
This is a good-faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person’s experience, accomplishments and location. ProPublica is committed to paying its staff equitably, and these ranges should not be considered career salary limits or caps.
Please apply here: http://www.on-ramps.com/open-positions/3047
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
On-Ramps is a full-service search and consulting firm that serves innovative, mission-driven organizations. Like ProPublica, On-Ramps is deeply committed to equity. They believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and identities come together with a common purpose.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact [email protected].