We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is a growing organization with a need for a hands-on technology leader who can enable our editorial and business teams to work more effectively and securely.
The person in this position will be expected to make a real difference — both in our newsroom and in the world. You will play a key strategic role in fulfilling our mission, which is to do journalism that spurs real-world change. That means helping us sharpen the tools we use to do our work, and helping keep us, our work and our sources secure.
You’ll supervise and work alongside the manager of technology and operations to ensure that our technology environment, infrastructure, and toolkits are robust and secure in both design and practice; push us forward in how we use computers to automate, collaborate and analyze; and to put it simply, to find useful and delightful ways that technology can help us do our jobs better.
Based in our New York City office, this role will report jointly to the vice president of business development and a deputy managing editor.
The ideal candidate is an expert in the infrastructure we already have and has a keen sense of where we can make improvements.
On desktop, we’re a mixed Windows and Mac environment, dispersed among three offices — a headquarters in New York and smaller offices in Chicago and Berkeley — with many remote workers and plans to grow. Office servers are Windows based.
Site hosting is on Linux-based containers operating in the Amazon cloud.
- Solid and up-to-date understanding of desktop/server support in a mixed Mac/Windows environment.
- Ability to model and mitigate information and operational security threats.
- Experience in cloud infrastructure management and budgeting, especially Amazon Web Services.
- Experience as an IT manager/program leader in a journalism, media, research, non-profit or startup environment.
- A demonstrated commitment to customer service and a genuine interest in creating technology solutions that enable creativity instead of locking down users.
- Desire to get hands dirty. This is a small team and the person in this position will need to be an implementer as well as a strategist.
- Ability to sell small changes to reluctant users and to make the business case for large changes to management.
- 5+ years of experience coming up with creative technical solutions to problems, including optimizing workflows, collaboration, etc.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the proven ability to successfully work across organizational boundaries.
- A friendly, entrepreneurial and collaborative nature.
This full-time position will be based in our New York office.
You can apply using this form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages, and we’re taking active steps to meet this commitment. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Email [email protected].