ProPublica is a growing organization with a need for a strategic technologist who can enable our editorial and business teams to work more effectively and securely.
The person in this position will be responsible for collaborating directly with business-side and newsroom leadership to ensure that our technology operations are robust and secure; support the company's strategic goals and expansion; and find useful, delightful ways that technology can help us do our jobs better.
Based in our New York City office, this role will report jointly to the vice president of business development and a deputy managing editor.
- Maintain organization’s effectiveness and efficiency by defining, delivering, and supporting strategic plans for IT projects — and take a hands-on role in implementing them.
- Ensure IT systems and staff are effective and functioning within the limits of budget, time and specifications of the organization.
- Recommend information technology strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Direct and prioritize the workload of the IT team, and collaborate effectively with other technology leaders across the organization, on both editorial and business teams.
- Supervise and assist the Manager of Technology and Operations in building relationships with vendors, managing contractors, and creating cost-efficient contracts across multiple offices.
- Participate in all hardware and software evaluations.
- Ensure that all staff are trained on IT systems, tools, and digital security.
Of course, the ideal candidate is an expert in the infrastructure we already have and has a keen sense of where we can make improvements:
On desktop, we're a mixed Windows and Mac environment, dispersed among three offices — a headquarters in New York and smaller offices in Chicago and Berkeley — with many remote workers and plans to grow. Office servers are Windows based.
Site hosting is based on Linux-based containers operating in the Amazon cloud.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Develop a technical design/strategy/roadmap the compliments the roadmaps for the groups that are being supported.
- Identify and analyze service issues and provide resolution.
- Effectively, and often simultaneously, communicate and influence at both a detailed operational/technical and at a higher overview level.
- Conduct presentations to all levels of staff including executives, as well perhaps a board of directors.
- Experience as an IT manager/program leader, especially in a journalism environment.
- Think critically and strategically, and work with metrics to ground assumptions and hypotheses.
- Experience in project budgeting, resource allocation, tracking, reporting and risk mitigation.
- 5+ years of experience helping businesses come up with creative technical solutions to their problems, including optimizing workflows, collaboration, etc.
- Desire to get hands dirty. This is a small team and the person in this position will need to be an implementer as well as a strategist.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the proven ability to successfully work across organizational boundaries.
- Ideally, experience working in a news or publishing environment.
- Results driven with a positive and can-do attitude.
- Excellent collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills, ability to conceptualize ideas.
This full-time position will be based in our New York office.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven't thought of, and who won't fit everything we've described above. If this is you, don't hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer. A strong track record will go far in our eyes.
You can apply using this form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning April 17, 2018.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages, and we're taking active steps to meet this commitment. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.