We’re adding to our award-winning engagement team and we’re looking for someone to change up our newsletter game, both in products and strategy. One thing that’s cool about this: We’ve never had anyone in this role before, and we’re excited for someone to bring energy, insight and improvements to our newsletter efforts.
What you’ll do
You’ll start by looking at our current newsletter, identifying what’s working and what we need to change. Then you’ll help put those recommendations into practice.
We also want you to think through and launch new products. Should we have a Trump administration newsletter? Should we do more with health care or technology or specific reporters? You’re going to help us figure that out.
You’ll be focused on knowing our audience, creating newsletter products for them and growing that audience and base of subscribers.
You’ll work with teams across the newsroom as well as members of the business and development team.
What we’re looking for:
- You love newsletters and have strong opinions about them.
- You know how to present stories with accuracy and rigor. So, journalism experience, especially involving hard-hitting stories that shed light on injustices, is a plus.
- You know how to grow a newsletter list using everything from partnerships to content to leveraging analytics and email newsletter best practices.
- You feel comfortable handling all aspects of a newsletter: writing, editing and producing.
- You know how to use analytics to make your point.
- You’re excited by the fact that this is a new position where you can experiment and put your creativity to work.
- You’re a strong, fun, compelling and fast writer, and know how to write (and edit) for newsletters.
- You keep your eye on the latest newsletter and platform trends and have ideas on how to adapt them to your work.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
How to apply:
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form. The deadline to apply is April 22.
This is a contract job through Dec. 31, 2018. The job is based in New York.
You can send questions to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Want to know about other jobs at ProPublica? We have them.
If this job doesn’t sound right for you, we may have others that are. We are hiring. Here is where we list all of our jobs, and where you can sign up to be notified when there is an opening. Here are the various fellowships we offer for promising journalists who typically have less experience.