We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is seeking a self-motivated and well-organized administrative professional as the Office Manager for our New York headquarters.
The Office Manager will play a critical role in establishing an efficient, smooth-running operation at our New York office and will be responsible for managing special projects and interacting with a variety of staff including key stakeholders. The Office Manager will provide administrative support to the president, editor-in-chief, and newsroom staff, in addition to coordinating with ProPublica’s administrative staff at offsite locations. This is an ideal job for an outgoing “people person” who enjoys working with a variety of dedicated professionals in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience providing support and operational assistance in an office setting. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment is a must. Excellent organizational ability demonstrated by meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in a cooperative but self-directed manner are also critical. Strong oral and written communication skills are required, and demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications is essential.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Order office supplies, manage inventory, handle invoices and maintain relationships with vendors.
- Liaise with building management and handle day to day facility operations, including coordinating security card and key access, identifying and reporting issues in both private and public spaces, and communicating with cleaning staff.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings and events, including periodic board meetings, and assist with board communications.
- Provide administrative assistance to president and editor-in-chief (including expenses and reservations), in addition to assisting finance, human resources, and development departments as needed.
- Field phone calls on main line, responding to queries from readers and directing calls; answer doors and direct guests and staff.
- Take ownership for maintaining a professional office atmosphere and maintenance of common spaces, including refilling supplies, tidying up, clearing dishwasher and overseeing refrigerator cleanout.
- Organize, review and distribute mail to staff.
- Efficiently manage administrative issues within the New York office and coordinate with remote administrative staff to solve problems, identify efficiencies, and ensure smooth operation of back-office functions.
The Office Manager role is a full-time position with benefits located in our New York City office. Work hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, though some flexibility will occasionally be necessary.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages, and we’re taking active steps to meet this commitment. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Use this form to apply.
Email Liz Sharp with questions. No phone calls please.