ProPublica is hiring a leader for our story production team. This position is a key part of the newsroom, helping us prioritize and elevate our journalism to maximize its resonance and impact.
The production editor oversees a team of story producers who are champions for the journalism we publish, as well as for the people who read our work. The team and its leader touch every project we do and play at least two critical roles in the newsroom: Keeping our editorial workflow flowing and matching the sophistication of our story presentations to the urgency of our journalism.
Production drives visual storytelling by commissioning and art directing photography and illustration; elevates stories through the strategic use of audio, video, charts and other elements; and ensures we put our best foot forward on all the platforms where our journalism appears. The work is at the crux of critical cross-team communication that helps our journalism have real-world impact. When producers do their best work, they help build understanding, empathy and outrage in our readers.
Strong editorial judgement and a focus on managing staff in a mission-driven newsroom with exacting quality standards are priorities for this job. This position is full time, includes benefits and will be based in ProPublica’s New York office.
Skills we’re looking for:
- Experience managing people and creating sane, supportive, high-performing teams.
- Excellent time-management skills, keen attention to detail and the ability to work with multiple parties to plan, schedule and deliver projects on deadline.
- The ability to understand investigative journalism and advocate for what readers need to fully understand a complex story.
- Experience working with photography and illustration, including wire photographs and commissioning independent photographers and illustrators.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and identify solutions that meet the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Familiarity with visual design tools like Photoshop, Sketch, etc.
- Familiarity working with a modern web-based CMS like WordPress or Craft.
- A commitment to being a great colleague and a respectful human being.
Here’s what the team you’ll lead does:
- Works with editors and reporters to figure out how visual journalism and story elements can help tell their stories in the most powerful way.
- Collaborates with teams across our newsroom to make sure all elements of a story — including but not limited to photos, illustrations, videos, graphics and news apps — are ready to publish.
- Coordinates the commissioning of visual journalism from independent photographers and illustrators, as well as the art directing and editing of their work.
- Looks for opportunities to add thoughtful interactive elements that enhance stories.
- Formats final copy for publication, including coordinating with reporters and editors to help move drafts and final copy through the editing process.
- Coordinates with publishing partners and audience teams to ensure that stories are well-presented across multiple platforms.
- Ensures that story production reflects organizational priorities around impact, audience and sustainability.
Do you have something else you can bring to this job? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us about how you see your skills amplifying what we need from this role. We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
This is not a data journalism or story editing job, but you will interact with people doing that kind of work every day.
What you should send us:
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of the ProPublica staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Fill out this form to apply. The deadline to apply is 3:00 a.m. Eastern time on Jan. 6. We’ll start reviewing applications right after.
Have questions? Email Scott Klein at email@example.com. Scott is ProPublica’s deputy managing editor in charge of visual and data journalism. This position will report to him.