We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
We are hiring two senior editors to oversee six to seven projects each (and the reporters producing them). One opening is through June 2020; the other through December 2020. Selected editors will have the responsibility to guide, edit and elevate the work. As with all our work at ProPublica, the job is ultimately to create compelling investigations that spur change.
What you would be doing:
- Overseeing half a dozen reporters, each at different newsrooms.
- Working in collaboration with the partner newsrooms to execute stories that can take a variety of forms, from newspaper-style takeouts to magazine, radio and TV pieces.
- Coordinating with a team at ProPublica that includes research, data, news applications, engagement, audience development and design to elevate your projects.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a track record of landing revelatory stories about abuses of power.
- Aches to tell stories that are both important and powerfully told
- Has experience with — and an appetite for — collaborating with other newsrooms.
- Is truly excited about all the possible ways we can do journalism nowadays: from deep data-digging to working with readers to marrying narrative and investigative forms.
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.)
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
What you should send us:
- The most important part by far is your past work. Send us URLs to your best stuff. Let us know how your editing shaped and improved the stories. Don’t be shy — tell us what worked (numbers and evidence of impact welcome!) and how you’d do it differently next time. Editing is about far more than moving around words. Show us how you think.
- A description of any experience you’ve had with collaborations between newsrooms.
- Your thoughts on local or regionally based projects you think ProPublica should do. What kind of stories grab your attention? How should they be told? Be expansive: Are these more effective as narratives, hard news stories, immersive interactives, etc.?
- Your resume.
The jobs are full time, includes benefits, and will be based at our headquarters in New York. As we have noted, one job is for a year and the other for 18 months.
Got questions? Email [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
The deadline to apply for this position is Sunday, April 28, at 11:59 EDT.