We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
We’re adding to our award-winning engagement team. We are looking for a social editor, social strategist and social storyteller.
Sure, we get Twitter. We’ve done well on Facebook. Now, we’re looking for someone to help lead us to the next level. We want you to help us with smart storytelling and strategy on our social accounts and other off-site platforms (such as Apple News, Google Play Newsstand and Flipboard).
We’re not looking for someone to just say, “We should post more at 4 p.m.” (though it’s great if you have opinions about that), but to think deeply about how social and other off-site platforms can be used to used to foster powerful stories with impact.
You’ll work closely with reporters to think through the best way to tell stories on social. You’ll work with our design, interactive and video teams to craft our coverage for social. Sometimes, you’ll tell stories on social we aren’t telling anywhere else.
This is a newsroom position that we haven’t had before. We’re very open to ideas you may have about it.
What we’re looking for:
- Are you comfortable experimenting with new ways to tell stories on social and other platforms off-site? Apply.
- Do you have a track record of presenting stories with accuracy and rigor? And are you motivated by stories that reveal injustice? Apply.
- Are you a smart, fluid, funny, compelling, fast writer for social media? Apply.
- Do you know about SEO beyond knowing what the S, the E and the O stand for? Apply.
- Do you understand how social audiences consume video and have strong feelings about the “pivot to video”? Apply.
- Do you have an analytical mind and an interest in metrics and trying to figure out why people click or don’t click on certain Facebook posts? Apply.
- Do you keep your eye on the latest social media and platform trends and have ideas on how to adapt them to your work? Apply.
- Have you managed a few people in the past? Apply. (Not required, but a plus.)
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form. Deadline to apply is April 27.
The job is full-time and includes benefits. We are based in New York.
You can send questions to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
We are also hiring for other positions. Here is our full list.
Want to know about other jobs at ProPublica? We have them.
If this job doesn’t sound right for you, we may have others that are. We are hiring. Here is where we list all of our jobs, and where you can sign up to be notified when there is an opening. Here are the various fellowships we offer for promising journalists who typically have less experience.