We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
We’re adding to ProPublica’s award-winning engagement team and we’re looking for a visual journalist to help us do more on social media and other platforms.
Here are things we love:
Here are things we’ve done that we love
- Promotional videos for our podcast Trump, Inc.
- Animated texts from a recent investigation into MS-13
- Instagram story about Tyndall Air Force Base
Do you have skills to make some of these things? Do you want to make more and better things like this with us? Keep reading.
What you’ll do:
You’ll work closely with social visuals and graphics producer Lucas Waldron, thinking through and producing small, medium and large social visuals. What could this mean? Think: smart, simple infographics; clear, catchy animations; perfectly sized illustrations; tight, snappy scripts for videos; side-by-side contradictory quote cards from officials; Instagram stories; and a bunch of stuff we aren’t even thinking about yet. Really, we’re open to as many ideas as you’ve got.
You’ll be creating visual assets for ProPublica’s Twitter, Facebook, newsletters and anywhere else our journalism is shareable.
What we’re looking for:
- Someone comfortable experimenting with visual editing and graphic design software — and with a general understanding of design principles.
- Someone comfortable working in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and/or Premiere.
- If you’ve got any experience with illustration, animation or data visualization, tell us about that! It’s a nice plus.
- Someone genuinely interested in the social web, who keeps an eye on the latest trends, and who will guide us toward good and interesting work at other outlets.
- We care the most about making sure we’re presenting our stories with accuracy and rigor. Journalism experience, especially involving hard-hitting stories that shed light on injustices, is a plus.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
How to apply:
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form. Deadline to apply is April 22.
This is a contract job through Dec. 31, 2018. The job is based in New York.
Want to know about other jobs at ProPublica?
If this job doesn’t sound right for you, we may have others that are. We are hiring. Here is where we list all of our jobs, and where you can sign up to be notified when there is an opening. Here are the various fellowships we offer for promising journalists who typically have less experience.