Bloomberg on NYPD Counter-Terrorism Record: “We’ll Never Know.”
The mayor, who previously said the NYPD had stopped 14 plots, now says he believes it’s impossible to know for sure how many plots the NYPD has thwarted.
Responding to our story from earlier today on whether the New York Police Department has really thwarted 14 terror plots, Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters it’s impossible to say for sure how many plots the NYPD has stopped.
After a press conference on transportation policy this afternoon in Queens, the mayor was asked by NY1’s Josh Robin how confident he is in the oft-invoked statistic that the NYPD had stopped 14 terrorist plots since 9/11. We reported that the figure overstated the number of serious terrorist plots targeting New York and exaggerated the NYPD’s role in stopping plots.
“I could make as cogent an argument there’s double or triple the number that were stopped, we just don’t know about it,” the mayor responded. “If [terrorists] want to attack here, the NYPD has a 1,000 police officers devoted to intelligence and counter-terrorism looking to stop you. And you might look at those odds and say, ‘I don’t want to run that risk.’ We’ll never know.”
“We have to be right 100 percent of the time,” Bloomberg added. “The terrorists only have to be right once and you’re dead. Now you want to make some noise about the study — they can study anything they want. I don’t know how you prove it one way or another.”
We have followed up with the mayor’s office to see whether the NYPD and the city will continue citing the 14 figure, and we will update this post if we hear back.
[UPDATE: The city has taken down the video of Bloomberg's comments that originally appeared here.]
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange