Coming This Week…
Tuesday, July 29
9:30 a.m.—Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations holds a hearing on companies shirking payroll taxes. The hearing will discuss a coming GAO report on payroll abuse.
10 a.m.—Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works holds a hearing on the EPA’s Clean Air Interstate Rule (PDF), an air pollution reduction program in 28 eastern states. Following the hearing, Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) hold a press conference to address the committee’s investigation into politicization at EPA.
1 p.m.—The ACLU holds a call-in conference on what it describes as “the construction of a de facto domestic intelligence system.” The focus will be on so-called “fusion centers,” where state, local and federal law work together on anti-terrorism efforts. (Dial-in number: 1-800-816-4134. Access Code: 69922#)
Wednesday, July 30
Thursday, July 31
9:30 a.m.—Senate Armed Services holds a hearing on North Korean diplomatic progress, with testimony from Ambassador Christopher Hill, among others.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange