Coming This Week…
Tuesday, July 29
9:30 a.m.—Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations holds a hearing on companies shirking payroll taxes. The hearing will discuss a coming GAO report on payroll abuse.
10 a.m.—Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works holds a hearing on the EPA’s Clean Air Interstate Rule (PDF), an air pollution reduction program in 28 eastern states. Following the hearing, Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) hold a press conference to address the committee’s investigation into politicization at EPA.
1 p.m.—The ACLU holds a call-in conference on what it describes as “the construction of a de facto domestic intelligence system.” The focus will be on so-called “fusion centers,” where state, local and federal law work together on anti-terrorism efforts. (Dial-in number: 1-800-816-4134. Access Code: 69922#)
Wednesday, July 30
Thursday, July 31
9:30 a.m.—Senate Armed Services holds a hearing on North Korean diplomatic progress, with testimony from Ambassador Christopher Hill, among others.
Our Hottest Stories
- How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States With Billions in Toxic Debt
- Q&A: What Can U.S. Health Care Learn from the Ebola Outbreak?
- Report: Drillers Illegally Using Diesel Fuel to Frack
- Leaked Docs Show Spyware Used to Snoop on U.S. Computers
- Government Will Withhold One-Third of the Records from Database of Physician Payments
- What to Look For In Dueling Autopsies of Michael Brown
- Illinois Suspends Medical License of Leading Prescriber of Antipsychotic Drugs
- The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police
- Q&A: The Hidden Costs of Tobacco Debt
- Pro-Troop Charity Shoots Back