Coming This Week…
Tuesday, July 29
9:30 a.m.—Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations holds a hearing on companies shirking payroll taxes. The hearing will discuss a coming GAO report on payroll abuse.
10 a.m.—Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works holds a hearing on the EPA’s Clean Air Interstate Rule (PDF), an air pollution reduction program in 28 eastern states. Following the hearing, Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) hold a press conference to address the committee’s investigation into politicization at EPA.
1 p.m.—The ACLU holds a call-in conference on what it describes as “the construction of a de facto domestic intelligence system.” The focus will be on so-called “fusion centers,” where state, local and federal law work together on anti-terrorism efforts. (Dial-in number: 1-800-816-4134. Access Code: 69922#)
Wednesday, July 30
Thursday, July 31
9:30 a.m.—Senate Armed Services holds a hearing on North Korean diplomatic progress, with testimony from Ambassador Christopher Hill, among others.
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- Labor Department Intervenes on Behalf of Hearst Interns