Who’s on Treasury Sec. Geithner’s Calendar? Search for Yourself
A searchable, easy-to-browse look at the Treasury Secretary’s calendar during the height of financial reform.
Curious who had Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner's ear this summer during the height of financial reform? Now you can check for yourself.
Yesterday Reuter's Felix Salmon bemoaned how hard it was to make sense of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's calendar as it was posted on the department's website. Aside from being hard to find on the site, the calendars are just scanned documents, so you can't search any specific person or topic. "In other words, these diaries, posted for transparency, are about as opaque as it can get," Salmon wrote.
We threw the document into our wiz-bang document viewer, and ... poof! We present Geithner's schedule, now searchable and easy to browse.
As Bloomberg News pointed out, Jon Stewart had an "off-the-record meeting" with Geithner. Here's that entry in Geithner's calendar. Stewart was part of a trip to New York, where Geithner also met with Bloomberg News and made a "courtesy visit" to the New York Fed board.
On one day while the House and Senate were reconciling their versions of the financial reform bill Geithner spoke with both former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker and Sen. Blanche Lincoln, who each supported controversial parts of the bill, and had calls with the sponsors of the bill, Rep. Barney Frank and Sen. Christopher Dodd.
In the days before the Senate passed the final version of the bill, not surprisingly Geithner had lots of calls with the Senate Finance Committee's Charles Schumer and Max Baucus. Geithner also spoke with Goldman Sachs' Lloyd Blankfein, JPMorgan Chase's Jamie Dimon and the United Steelworker's Leo Gerard.
Please post what else you find in the comments section below.
Our Hottest Stories
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Campus Sexual Assault: What Are Colleges Doing Wrong?
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer