Conference Call: Find Out How to Use Our Education Data for Your Reporting
As Labor Day approaches and parents begin to plan for a new school year, ProPublica would like to invite you to participate in a conference call about equality of educational opportunities in America. On Tuesday, August 2 at 3 p.m. Eastern, ProPublica’s education reporter Sharona Coutts, director of computer-assisted reporting Jennifer LaFleur and news application developer Al Shaw, will hold a conference call to show people how to localize the school data from our “Opportunity Gap” project.
The data and analysis showed how schools were performing in providing equal access to a high-quality education. The project allows reporters, parents, students, teachers, bloggers and anyone else to compare different schools and school districts to another on a variety of important statistics. The data include the number of students at the school or in the district, percentage of inexperienced teachers, the number of Advanced Placement courses, percentage of students eligible for a school lunch program (as an indicator of poverty), the ethnic makeup and much more.
If you would like some tips on how to do your own local analysis of the data, we encourage you to join our free conference call on August 2 at 3 p.m. EDT. Sign up here and we will send you the details on how to participate. The ProPublica staffers will discuss their work and answer any questions you might have so that you can localize the story.
Please feel free to share this invitation and contact us if you have any questions in advance of the call.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Obsidian HDS, the Developer of PharmaShine, to Cooperate on Dollars for Docs Data
- Cezary Podkul of Reuters to Cover Finance for ProPublica
- ProPublica Presents Student Photos on Resegregation of Schools
- David Sleight to Join ProPublica as Design Director
- ProPublica Hires New York Times Reporter Ginger Thompson
- ProPublica Hires Reporters Ryan Gabrielson and Heather Vogell
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.
Our Hottest Stories
- In Desegregation Case, Judge Blasts School Officials and Justice Department
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block
- California Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning it May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- What We Learned Investigating Unpaid Internships
- Who Advised Cuomo on Mortgage Industry Investigation? A Mortgage Lobbyist
- Are Patient Privacy Laws Being Misused to Protect Medical Centers?
- Thank You for Your Service: How One Company Sues Soldiers Worldwide
- Even After Open Enrollment, Activity Remains Unexpectedly High on Federal Health Insurance Exchange
- New York State of Fracking: A ProPublica Explainer
- Error: You Have No Payments from Pharma