The Perils and Promise of Fracking
On Monday, April 9, ProPublica and the Tenement Museum will co-sponsor an in-depth conversation about fracking. A panel featuring representatives from the media, the drilling industry, a former state regulator and an environmental lawyer will discuss whether the process is the answer to America’s energy needs, or whether we should slow down and learn more about the potential environmental effects of hydraulic fracturing.
Stu Gruskin – former executive deputy commissioner of New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation and currently an environmental consultant; and
The Investigate This Tenement Talk will take place at 6:30pm Eastern at the Tenement Museum, 103 Orchard Street (at Delancey). The event is free and open to the public, but please RSVP on our Facebook page if you plan to join us.
As fracking continues to be met with cheers and jeers as its use expands across the country, we hope you’ll join us for this important discussion.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor
- WDET’s Terry Parris Jr. to Become ProPublica’s New Community Editor
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.