What is it?
Why are you doing this?
Our mission is to effect real change through investigative journalism. One of the ways we do this is by providing world-class reporting free of charge to news outlets with large, influential audiences.
An important piece of information we need in return is a sense of the size of the audience our stories reach on our partners’ web sites. PixelPing is simply an efficient way of getting basic page-view statistics quickly.
How does it work?
PixelPing functions much like Google Analytics, Tacoda, Quantcast, and other beacons—only much more simply. All you have to do is copy and paste the following line of code anywhere in the body of the article we’re co-publishing in your website’s content management system—if possible, somewhere close to the top of the story.
What will my users see?
Nothing. This will not affect your web page layout at all.
What does it track?
Quite simply, it only counts the number of page views to the story on which the code appears. It doesn’t count unique visitors. It also doesn’t count anything on pages other than the one on which you loaded it.
Who will see the data?
We will hold the page view data PixelPing collects as confidential, and we will not share it with outsiders, period.
We’re keenly aware of how seriously all of our partners take the privacy of their users. PixelPing does not attempt to track anything at all about visitors—neither individually nor in the aggregate—nor does it attempt to set or read any cookies.
Will it slow down my page or break my web pages?
Who can I contact with questions about it?
Call Scott Klein, our Editor of News Applications at 917-512-0205 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
Safeguard the public interest.
Support ProPublica’s award-winning investigative journalism.
Learn About ProPublica
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica, Virginian-Pilot Convening Asks: Has Agent Orange Hurt the Children of Vietnam Vets?
- ProPublica, University of Virginia to Host Talk About Reporting on Rape
- ProPublica to Host Washington, D.C. Forum on Nation’s Broken Patient Safety System
- ProPublica Will Run Campaign Finance API with Updates in Real Time
- ProPublica to Host Talk with VICE News Journalist Jason Leopold at Rutgers University
- Rob Weychert to Join ProPublica as Editorial Experience Designer
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)