Watch Airport X-ray Scanner Report on NewsHour
Last week, our partners at PBS NewsHour ran a segment devoted to the Transportation Security Administration's controversial X-ray body scanners, and how despite health risks and a safer alternative, the TSA is proceeding to roll out these scanners in airports across the country.
ProPublica's Michael Grabell, in conjunction with NewsHour, has written a series of stories on these machines, which later led the head of the TSA, John Pistole, to testify that the agency will perform a new, independent study on the safety of body scanners. However, Pistole, much to the chagrin of Sen. Susan Collins, later changed his mind and may only rely on an internal inspector general's report to decide on their usage.
"Research suggests that anywhere from six to 100 U.S. airline passengers could get cancer each year from the machines," Grabell reported. "Still, the TSA has repeatedly defined the scanners as 'safe,' glossing over the accepted scientific view that even low doses of ionizing radiation — the kind beamed directly at the body by the X-ray scanners — increase the risk of cancer...there is an FDA safety regulation for X-ray scanning baggage — but none for X-rays scanning people at airports."
Watch the NewsHour report below, and see all of our airport X-ray scanner reporting here.
Watch For Frequent Fliers, How Big a Concern Is Backscatter Body Scan Radiation? on PBS. See more from PBS NEWSHOUR.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Andrew Revkin to Join ProPublica as Senior Reporter on Climate Change
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.