We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is looking for a sharp-eyed, detail-oriented web producer to join our new Chicago newsroom covering Illinois.
Why you want this job: You’ll be integral to the newest chapter of one of the most exciting news operations in the country. You will be part of a new newsroom that will run independently from, but in close coordination with, our operation in New York.
You’ll work with our growing Design & Production group, collaborating directlywithteammembers to produce stories that are both exemplary pieces of journalism and forward-thinking in terms of designandexecution. ProPublica’s Design & Production team values inclusive, user-focused design, a mobile-first approach, and documentation. We do not adhere to the idea of service desks or assembly lines.
A typical day at ProPublica might find you:
- Coordinating with editors and reporters in Chicago and New York to keep story schedules on track and up to date.
- Formatting and posting the latest articles via our CMS.
- Making photo and art selections to accompany what we publish, and coordinating schedules with photographers and illustrators we commission.
- Editing HTML and CSS to implement and refine story layouts and site features.
Skills you’ll need:
- Ability to track and communicate story schedules and project details across teams.
- Ability to write clean, effective HTML and CSS.
- Intermediate Photoshop or equivalent.
- A solid design eye (especially when it comes to great news photography and/or editorial illustration)
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
This is a full-time position based in ProPublica Illinois’ Chicago newsroom, with competitive salary and benefits.
To apply, fill out our application form. Be sure to include a link to your portfolio if you have one. If you don’t have a portfolio, please send links or screenshots of projects you’ve worked on and describe how you contributed to them. Tell us what worked, what might not of, and how that fit into the context of what was needed for the project.
Have questions? Email [email protected].