We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
As ProPublica grows, we are looking to improve our core site, implement new tools to support our expanding operations and find useful, delightful ways that technology can help us do our jobs better.
As associate product developer, you will join our small team of thoughtful, creative designers and developers who oversee the wide range of technical infrastructure that supports our journalism, from the website, mobile apps and email products to the CMS, internal tools for editorial and business users and membership management.
What You’ll Be Doing
The associate product developer will work directly with business and newsroom staff to advance the functionality and design of our publishing platform, including:
- Working with our small team of developers and designers to maintain and support our website, CMS and internal tools to bolster audience, revenue and operational priorities.
- Be the first point of contact for business and newsroom colleagues for site-related issues and requests.
- Help document requests for troubleshooting and escalate as needed.
- Keep stakeholders up to date on the progress of their open requests.
- Collaborate with in-house and external development teams, partners and contributors on ad hoc and ongoing projects.
We’re Looking for Someone Who:
- Believes in the power of accountability journalism to make change and is eager to support the efforts of our organization in achieving this mission.
- Is a motivated self-starter who can stay engaged in a distributed work environment.
- Enjoys collaborating with nontechnical colleagues and teammates from across the newsroom.
- Is a clear, concise written and verbal communicator.
- Is well organized and able to work independently.
- Is resourceful in finding solutions.
- Basic proficiency working with HTML and CSS.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of programming.
- Understanding of modern website infrastructure.
- Familiarity with PHP-based CMSes, such as Craft or WordPress.
- Familiarity with a templating language, such as Twig, Liquid, Handlebars or Mustache.
- Proficiency with GitHub and git.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form. We will begin reviewing applications on May 10, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site.
This is a full-time position and includes benefits. ProPublica is based in New York, but we are open to people working remotely. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Questions? Send them to Senior Product Developer Frank Sharpe at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.