We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is seeking a director of audience strategy. While ProPublica measures its success in terms of impact, rather than pageviews, we are eager to continue expanding the reach and resonance of our journalism. In this role, you will help drive the growth of ProPublica’s audience and ensure maximum visibility for our journalism in the places where it can make an impact. This is a senior leadership position.
We’re a nonprofit newsroom focused on producing accountability journalism that drives real-world change; our audience-development efforts aim to help our stories reach more people with our work and to cultivate more direct, meaningful relationships with them in a variety of ways — as readers, experts, community members, citizens and donors. The audience team, led by the person in this role, is a creative and ambitious group of eight journalists who oversee our newsletters and social media presence, identify and support unique editorial partnerships, and collaborate with reporters and editors on how to make our work shine. These efforts aim both to find large national audiences for our biggest stories and to ensure that our ambitious local investigations reach the communities and places most affected by the issues we cover.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Work closely with both editorial and business-side colleagues to identify key audiences for ProPublica’s journalism.
- Identify new opportunities to distribute our work and reach key audiences, working with colleagues across the organization to advocate for, test and launch your ideas.
- Manage a growing team that works with newsroom colleagues to develop strategies and tactics for reaching and retaining those audiences.
- Define goals for and track the performance of our publishing platforms — including the website, mobile apps, social media accounts, newsletters and third-party platforms — on key metrics of reach, engagement and loyalty.
We’re Looking for Someone Who:
- Has a proven track record of identifying strategic opportunities and managing teams to implement vision accordingly.
- Thrives on setting and achieving ambitious goals for themselves and their teams.
- Has experience building audiences for mission-driven public-interest work.
- Advocates for the needs of diverse audiences in conversations about storytelling, design and product development.
- Is a savvy data analyst, able to identify opportunities, gaps and emerging problems to refine and improve goals.
- Is a clear written and verbal communicator, whether crafting an accurate, engaging headline or giving a presentation to the masthead.
- Is familiar with at least some of the tools we use — including (but not limited to) Chartbeat, Craft CMS, Google Analytics, Google Docs, Outlook, Sailthru, Semrush and Socialflow — and has ideas about others we should be using.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form. We are accepting applications until Friday, Dec. 10.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica’s headquarters are in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Washington, Atlanta and Phoenix. The position is ideally based in our New York office, but we’re open to applicants based in one of our other locations as well. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Questions? Send them to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.