We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
We’re looking for an ambitious investigative reporter to take on compelling stories grounded in the Midwest but with national resonance, designed to surprise, reveal and bring about change.
Currently, we have reporters based in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin, and we are looking to add to any of those locations or put a reporter in Ohio, Indiana or Iowa.
We’re particularly interested in reporters with experience in government and corporate accountability reporting or a strong desire to make that their specialty. But we’re open to any topics that affect people living in these states and put a spotlight on powerful institutions. Tell us what you think would make for the most powerful accountability journalism out of this region.
We’re looking to hire someone who:
- Has reported original and revelatory accountability stories. If that experience is in the Midwest, all the better.
- Aches to report stories that are both important and powerfully told and has a vision for how they’d approach major government and corporate institutions in the Midwest.
- Has experience with or ideas about all the possible ways we can do journalism now: from deep data digging to working with readers to marrying narrative and investigative forms.
- Wants to bring an investigative lens to the issues of the day through quicker stories reported over a couple of weeks and longer projects that you dig into for a few months (or more).
- Really likes working with others — across our team, across ProPublica and with other news organizations. We believe we do our best work together.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills or interests in topics we haven’t mentioned. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
This job is full time and includes benefits. The candidates must be based in, or willing to relocate to, one of the states in our coverage area. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
The expected salary range for this position is $85,000 to $125,000.
This is a good faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person’s experience and accomplishment. ProPublica is committed to paying its staff equitably, and these ranges should not be considered career salary limits or caps.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
We will begin reviewing applications on Jan 30, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site.
Questions? Send an email to [email protected].
No phone calls, please.