We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is seeking a bright, self-motivated and well-organized administrative professional as the office manager for our New York headquarters.
The office manager will play a critical role in establishing an efficient, smooth-running operation at our New York office and will be responsible for managing special projects and interacting with staff and key stakeholders. The office manager will provide essential support to the president, editor-in-chief, and newsroom staff, in addition to coordinating with ProPublica’s administrative staff at offsite locations.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience providing support and operational assistance in an office setting. The ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment is a must. Excellent organizational ability demonstrated in meeting deadlines, setting priorities, maintaining accuracy in details and working in a cooperative but self-directed manner are also critical. Strong oral and written communication skills are required, and demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications is essential.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Act as office manager; responsibilities include, but are not limited to, fielding phone calls on main line; responding to queries from readers and directing calls; organizing, reviewing and distributing mail to staff; shipping/receiving; ordering office equipment and supplies; managing inventory; handling invoices; and maintaining relationships with vendors.
- Liaise with building management and manage facility operations, including coordinating security card and key access, identifying and reporting issues in both private and public spaces, and overseeing office renovations.
- Efficiently manage administrative issues within the New York office and coordinate with Chicago-based administrative staff to solve problems, identify efficiencies, and ensure smooth operation of back-office functions.
- Act as liaison to ProPublica’s board of directors. Duties include corresponding with board members and their assistants, scheduling yearly meetings, updating collateral material and creating and distributing board books. Office manager will work with the development department to carry out tasks related to the board as needed.
- Provide administrative assistance to president and editor-in-chief, including some calendar and travel management, in addition to assisting finance and development departments as needed.
The office manager role is a full-time position with benefits. Required work will generally occur during typical weekday business hours, although some flexibility dependent upon organizational needs is expected.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume through this application form. The deadline has been extended to May 8.
Have questions? Email [email protected]
Want to know about other jobs at ProPublica?
If this job doesn’t sound right for you, we may have others that are. We are hiring. Here is where we list all of our jobs, and where you can sign up to be notified when there is an opening. Here are the various fellowships we offer for promising journalists who typically have less experience.