We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is looking for a producer and project manager to join our in-house video team to oversee our expansion into visual investigations.
Over the past few years, we’ve seen the growing importance of video, audio and images to identifying abuses of power. We’ve uncovered audio of children separated from their parents at the border, the identities of neo-Nazis who participated in the Charlottesville rally and evidence of police officers assaulting a handcuffed man in Elkhart, Indiana, to name a few. We want you to help us source, verify and translate these materials into compelling video journalism.
You’ll be working alongside a senior editor and often working with our team of investigative reporters, social media experts and data journalists to source relevant visual material and translate that information into compelling video. Sometimes you’ll be working on stories that come from tips and information leaked to us, other times you’ll be working with reporters to hunt down leads and sources.
We already have fantastic shooters and editors on staff. Now, we need someone who can bring together the talented staff across our newsroom to conceptualize visual investigations that have impact.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has experience in investigative journalism video storytelling.
- Is comfortable carrying a project from concept to publication.
- Has experience in the forensic analysis of visual content and using video as evidence.
- Has a background in verifying social media content and video.
- Loves doing research and digging into data and information, following breadcrumbs to lead to important information.
- Can mine social media for content and information.
- Has experience of using motion graphics, 3D modeling and data.
- Has experience with FOIA requests.
- Is excited to partner with our reporters, news apps team and social media team on investigations.
- Can edit and produce a video independently, but is just as comfortable managing a small team of editors and motion graphics designers.
- Enjoys thinking through audience engagement with our team of social media experts.
- Likes being part of a team. Everybody at ProPublica has their own superpower. And we do our best work together.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.)
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, use this form to apply. The deadline for applications is Dec. 12.
This is a contract position that runs through December 2020. The job is full-time and include benefits. We are based in New York.