We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is seeking an editor for its national team with the vision and skills to spark, guide and elevate groundbreaking investigations that spur change.
What you would be doing:
- Overseeing a team of up to six reporters, all of whom are working on revelatory, important stories and projects.
- Collaborating across the newsroom and with publishing partners on projects that can take a variety of forms, from newspaper-style takeouts to magazine, radio and TV pieces, often accompanied by groundbreaking interactive databases.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A strong track record of delivering investigations about abuses of power — either as a reporter or editor.
- The ability to think ambitiously about projects and to help guide journalists to meet those ambitious goals.
- New ideas, experiences, backgrounds and viewpoints to expand and elevate ProPublica’s coverage.
- A collaborative mindset. Everybody at ProPublica has their own superpower, and we do our best work together.
- An eagerness to experiment with how we tell stories and a willingness to consider all the ways an investigation can be presented, whether it be with interactives, text, visuals or any other tools.
Prior management experience, either formally or informally, is a plus but not required.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form. We do not accept applications via email. We will accept applications until Jan. 31 at 10 a.m.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica is based in New York, but we’re open to remote candidates if the fit is right. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Send questions to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Want to know about other jobs at ProPublica? Check out our full list of jobs and fellowships, and sign up to be notified when there is a new opening.