ProPublica is looking for a creative, kind and collaborative Swiss Army knife visual journalist to join its films and video department, someone who wears both the hat of an artist and a journalist. Do you film, illustrate and animate video? Do you love creative storytelling and thinking outside of the box? Then we are looking for you.
You’ll work as part of a video and films team and in collaboration with all corners of the wider newsroom, including our expanding local initiative. Our team translates ProPublica’s investigative reporting into documentary films and creates multimedia and digital video projects. We’re looking to add someone versatile who will contribute their diverse skill set to a variety of projects with different rhythms and timelines: from feature-length documentaries to interactive projects or short form. We’re especially interested in people with illustration, animation and cinematography skills.
We’re looking for someone who:
- is a talented multifaceted visual storyteller.
- illustrates and animates video skillfully and artistically, but can also meet deadlines.
- has beautiful cinematography skills; can produce and film in the field. Video editing experience is a big plus.
- is proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite (required).
- has a design and infographics background (a plus).
- has sharp journalistic ethics.
- is adept at figuring out how to translate complex issues into smart and stunning visuals.
- loves experimenting and innovating.
- has a passion for telling character-driven tales and experience doing so especially without narration.
- has empathy, a kind heart and close to zero ego; is a big believer in generous and happy team ecosystems and working as a team to tell the best stories we can together.
- loves working with others but can also work independently.
- has trauma literacy and experience working with sensitive topics.
We don’t expect you to check all of these boxes. We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, apply and tell us about how your skills amplify what we need from this role. We’d love to hear from you.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of the ProPublica staff.) We’re committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
This job is based in New York, although we are open to remote applicants. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. This is a full-time position and includes benefits.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form. The most important part of it by far is your portfolio website and/or work examples. Please include links to projects you’ve worked on or contributed to and describe your role in detail. The deadline for applications is Friday, Oct. 30 at 11:59 p.m. PST
Any questions? Email Almudena Toral. No phone calls, please.