Note to Staff: Send. Forward. Oops.
When Emeritus’s top public relations official fired off a passionate call to arms – an email beseeching the company’s employees to blunt the impact of PBS Frontline and ProPublica’s investigation of the assisted living business by posting positive things about the company and the industry on Frontline and ProPublica’s website and Facebook accounts – she surely didn’t mean for it to be sent to ProPublica.
But that’s what happened, notwithstanding the attempt by an Emeritus employee to take back what clearly was an inadvertent forwarding of the email.
Here it is:
From: Wilburn Gardens-ED
Date: July 31, 2013 10:23:41 AM EDT
OK, everyone, it’s our turn now.
The broadcast has aired. Frontline has told their story. Now it’s time to tell ours. And folks, let’s tell it LOUDLY.
I am asking you, right now, to take five minutes, go online to one of these websites (or cut and paste to all of them, for that matter), and write just one sentence that speaks to your incredible community, your amazing staff, your wonderful residents and families that you care for, the job that you love and the difference that you make.
There’s a great quote: “Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has.”
If you don’t think your one post will matter, it does. A LOT.
We have only to be proud of what we do. Now is OUR time to flood the internet with the sounds of OUR united voices. Shout out about the exceptional care your team delivers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, for your residents and their families who trust and believe in you.
Please. Do it now.
Frontline Facebook page
ProPublica Facebook page
Your work is love made visible. You are an example for us all.
Karen Lucas – VP, Product Development and Communications
Emeritus Senior Living | 3131 Elliott Avenue, Suite 500 | Seattle, WA 98121
Russell Williams – Executive Director
Emeritus of Wilburn Gardens | 3500 Meekins Drive | Fredericksburg, VA 22407
Our Family is Committed to Yours.®
"The essence of profound insight is simplicity…" -Jim Collins
“If you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think…” -Clarence Darrow
Is the loosely regulated, multi-billion dollar assisted living industry putting seniors at risk?
Latest Stories in this Project
- Assisted Living Giant Is Focus of Federal Probe
- In California, a Raft of Measures to Improve Conditions and Oversight of Assisted Living
- In Churn of Assisted Living Deals, An Island of Misery
- In California, $1 Million in Unpaid Fines for Assisted Living Centers
- Elderly, At Risk, and Haphazardly Protected
Our Hottest Stories
- Segregation Now
- Beyond Ratings: More Tools Coming to Pick Your Doctor
- Rocky Mountain High or Reefer Madness? Legal Pot in Colorado Comes with Risks
- Even After Doctors Are Sanctioned or Arrested, Medicare Keeps Paying
- Long After Sandy, Red Cross Post-Storm Spending Still a Black Box
- Shake-Up Inside Forensic Credentialing Org
- The U.S. Government: Paying to Undermine Internet Security, Not to Fix It
- How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships
- Brooklyn DA Moves to Free Man after Long-Buried Evidence Surfaces
- Labor Department Intervenes on Behalf of Hearst Interns