What You Need to Know About Hydrofracking
As drilling for natural gas continues in states across America, PBS’s “Need to Know ” bores down into the issue by taking a closer look at the safety concerns that surround the drilling process known as hydraulic fracturing . In a report produced in collaboration with ProPublica reporter Abrahm Lustgarten, the program investigates how fracking threatens to contaminate drinking water sources for millions of Americans.
And for those of you who complain that we don’t feature enough celebrities in our work, “Need to Know” talks to actor Mark Ruffalo  about why he opposes fracking. “Need to Know” airs over the weekend on PBS stations across the country. Click here  to find your local station and show time.
If you would like more information on stories related to this episode, be sure to read:
And read all of our natural gas reporting on the ProPublica “Buried Secrets ” series page.
ProPublica in the News
- 100 great things about America
- How ProPublica changed investigative reporting
- In Praise of ProPublica
- Making a market: How ProPublica blends news that wins Pulitzers with news that wins followers
- Scott Klein: News apps don't just tell a story, they tell your story
- ProPublica's outreach a welcome step toward "open-source" journalism
Latest Press Releases
- Editing Veteran Larry Roberts to Join ProPublica
- ProPublica Hires Jennifer Stahl as Research Editor
- WDET’s Terry Parris Jr. to Become ProPublica’s New Community Editor
- ProPublica, the Lens Launch Multimedia Project on Coastal Loss in Louisiana
- ProPublica Hires Seattle Times’s Hannah Birch as Web Producer
- Robert Faturechi of LA Times to Cover Campaign Finance for ProPublica
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.