Are You an Aspiring College Journalist of Color? Apply to Our Emerging Reporters Program
Are you a college student of color interested in doing great journalism? ProPublica wants to help. We are a nonprofit investigative newsroom and we’re offering stipends to five minority students who work or want to work at college journalism outlets – newspapers, websites, radio stations or TV stations. We want to make college journalism accessible to students for whom it would otherwise be economically out of reach. Students can apply for the stipends annually. Those selected will receive $4,500 per semester.
Each student in our Emerging Reporters Program will also receive ongoing mentoring from ProPublica’s reporters and editors. We’ll also bring you to our newsroom in New York for a week.
ProPublica’s mission is to shine a light on abuses of power, producing stories of moral force that provoke change. There are currently few minority reporters who specialize in investigations. Without more such voices, visions and points of view, there is every reason to believe that important stories are being overlooked.
If you are interested in being a ProPublica Emerging Reporter, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A note explaining your interest
- Your resume
- Three writing samples, which can be published or unpublished work
- A paragraph describing how this stipend would allow you to do journalism that would otherwise be beyond your financial means.
And if you have questions, ask away.
The deadline for applications is Aug. 1.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Andrew Revkin to Join ProPublica as Senior Reporter on Climate Change
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.