How News Organizations Can Localize Coverage From ‘Dollars for Docs’
This week we published an investigation titled “Dollars for Docs” that found that hundreds of doctors who are being paid to promote drugs have been accused of professional misconduct, were disciplined by state boards, or lacked credentials as specialists. One of the most popular features of this investigation is the searchable database that includes more than 17,000 doctors and empowers readers to find out if their doctor has received money from pharma. There is also an explainer on how patients can address this issue with their doctor(s).
Newspapers across the country localized the story for their communities. Cleveland’s news source, The Plain Dealer, wrote an extensive article disclosing doctors who received money from Big Pharma and explaining to readers the importance of having an open discussion with their physicians. The Times-Picayune included a brief post about the “Dollars for Docs” project that included a list of Louisiana doctors who had received money from pharmaceutical companies and the link for readers to search for physicians.
It's not too late to publish your own stories using “Dollars for Docs.” Next week, we will be hosting a “Dollars for Docs” teleconference with tips on how you can use the information to generate your own reporting. Healthcare reporters Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber are available to give interviews.And feel free to contact us if you have questions about putting your own piece together.
“Dollars for Docs” Coverage
- Is your MD paid by a drug company? Austin American-Statesman Focal Point Blog
- Marin doctors collect $269,000 in payments from pharmaceutical companies Marin Independent Journal
- Some Lilly-paid docs sport spotty records Indianapolis Business Journal
- KRDO-Colorado Springs, CO
- WTOL-Toledo, OH
- WBAK-Bakersfield, CA
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Lisa Song to Cover the Environment for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.