Watch Live at 7 p.m. EST: How Algorithms Make Decisions About You
Tonight at 7:00 p.m. EST, ProPublica and WNYC’s Note to Self are presenting a live event, “Breaking the Black Box: How Algorithms Make Decisions About You,” at The Greene Space at WYNC.
With a panel of experts, including ProPublica senior reporter Julia Angwin and tech entrepreneur/writer Anil Dash, Note to Self host Manoush Zomorodi will explore what’s going on behind all the screens and connected devices in our lives. Together they will take a deep dive into where our personal information goes, what algorithms do with that information, and hidden biases in the algorithms that machines use to make decisions about us. The panel will also cover how to protect your personal data and ways we can peek inside algorithmic “black boxes” to hold actual people accountable.
This event will be webcast live today starting at 7:00 pm EST.
Based on ProPublica’s “Breaking the Black Box” series, the event also kicks off Note to Self’s “Privacy Paradox” project, a weeklong challenge on balancing the convenience of our digital tools with protecting our personal information. Tune in here, and join the conversation online by following #PrivacyParadox.
ProPublica in the News
- ProPublica Finds a Side Effect of Transparency -- and is Transparent About What it Found
- It's Time for News Organizations to Embrace Creative Commons
- Two Rival Reporters Team Up to Produce One Incredible Story
- Keep the Flame Lit for Investigative Journalism
- How National News Organizations Can Help Strengthen Local News Networks
- Click Here to Become a Source: Crowdsourcing in Journalism Gets a Boost
Latest Press Releases
- Lisa Song to Cover the Environment for ProPublica
- ProPublica and Coalition of News Organizations Launch 'Documenting Hate'
- Peter Gosselin to Join ProPublica to Investigate Aging Issues
- ProPublica Announces Paul Sagan as New Board Chairman
- ProPublica to Expand with State-Based ‘ProPublica Illinois’ Unit
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2016 (PDF)
- 2015 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, May-August 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Report on Form 990, 2014 (PDF)
- 2014 Financial Statements for Pro Publica, Inc. (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, January-April 2015 (PDF)
- 2014 Annual Report (PDF)
- Report to Stakeholders, September 2014 (PDF)
Get Our Data and Reporting Tools
We frequently publish data, and reporting tools like tipsheets and guides.