The Chicago Headline Club has announced this year’s finalists for its annual Peter Lisagor Awards, with 10 nominations for ProPublica Illinois, including for Best Start-Up. Many of the nominated projects were in collaboration with local partners, including The Chicago Tribune, The Sun Times, and WBEZ.
The Peter Lisagor Awards recognize the best of Chicago journalism and are named for Peter Lisagor, the Chicago Daily News’ Washington bureau chief from 1959 to 1976. Here are the nominated projects:
- “The Tax Divide” — Watchdog Award; Best Investigative Reporting (General Interest Daily Newspaper); Best Investigative Reporting (All Media)
- “Police Appeals System Undercuts Lengthy Misconduct Investigations” — Best Political and Government Reporting (General Interest Daily Newspaper)
- “Chicago Police Skirt Punishment as Disciplinary System Fails Yet Again” — Best Multimedia Feature Presentation; Best Multimedia Collaboration; Best Non-deadline Reporting (Online)
- “How Chicago Gets Its Guns” — Best Multimedia Feature Presentation
- “Downstate-of-Mind: Your Responses to Defining ‘Downstate’ Illinois” — Best Individual Blog Post
See a list of all of this year’s Peter Lisagor Award nominees here.