Impact has been at the heart of ProPublica’s mission since we began publishing 15 years ago. Every day, ProPublica’s reporters are digging into corruption, breaches of the public trust and institutional failures with the hope that a sustained spotlight on wrongdoing will spur change. In 2023, our work has led to laws being passed, people resigning from powerful positions, congressional investigations being launched and much more.
This virtual program, provided exclusively for our donor community, details our impact in 2023. Hear firsthand from the reporters and editors at the center of some of our biggest stories of the year and ask your questions.
We’ll feature the following investigations:
Train Country: Investigating Railroad Safety in America
As powerful railroad companies race to maximize profits through efficiency, safety is left behind.
The Ugly Truth: Inside the “We Buy Ugly Houses” Company
HomeVestors of America claims to be the country’s largest cash homebuyer and says it helps homeowners out of jams. But a closer look reveals that the company trains its franchisees to cash in on homeowners’ desperation.
Uncovered: How the Insurance Industry Denies Coverage to Patients
Health insurers reject millions of claims for treatment every year in America. Corporate insiders, recordings and internal emails expose the system and its harm.
- Alexandra Zayas, ProPublica deputy managing editor
- Anjeanette Damon, ProPublica reporter
- Byard Duncan, ProPublica engagement reporter
- David Armstrong, ProPublica reporter
- Maya Miller, ProPublica engagement reporter
- Michael Squires, ProPublica Southwest editor
- Robin Sparkman, ProPublica president
- Stephen Engelberg, ProPublica editor-in-chief
- T. Christian Miller, ProPublica reporter
- Topher Sanders, ProPublica reporter
This event has ended.