Our award-winning Local Reporting Network is growing, and ProPublica’s unconventional Audience team is looking for an audience fellow to grow with us starting this summer, for one year.
The network is an initiative we launched in 2018 to support local journalism. We cover the salaries and a stipend for benefits for reporters to do investigative journalism at news organizations across the country. We also provide editorial support and collaboration. So far, we’ve produced some hard-hitting local stories that have had a mighty impact — and we’re just getting started.
Here are the organizations and reporters we’ll be working with starting this summer.
As the audience and engagement fellow, you’ll be:
- Working with our partner newsrooms, large and small, to help with the packaging and distribution of stories throughout the year.
- Helping connect journalists to communities on- and offline in service of the journalism (and vice-versa). You might even do some reporting of your own.
- Coordinating with editors, producers, and developers on images, video and other visual storytelling means. Sometimes, you’ll be helping to combine all of them.
- Doing more than just writing social copy — though you’ll definitely be doing some of that. At ProPublica, we have a collaborative approach to social storytelling (you’ll like it, we promise). Still, we need someone to bring it all together and make sure everything’s :chefskiss: in the end.
- Pulling numbers, looking at location and performance data, and explaining your findings to reporters, editors and our team.
Apply if you:
- Have an interest in local reporting and news specifically, and a sharp point of view on how to help revitalize it.
- Believe deeply in the power of collaboration.
- Are energized at the thought of experimenting with new ways of reaching sources, subjects and readers alike — and are excited by the idea of sharing what you’ve learned.
- Believe that people are what make platforms interesting, not the other way around. Opinions about the current state of social platforms and digital media don’t hurt, either.
- Have a history of leveraging social media platforms to maximize the resonance of journalism. We’re not just talking distribution here — reach is great, sure — but in some cases, you’ll be contributing ideas before the reporting even begins.
- Can write a hed, dek, lede, takeaways, social copy and pitch for any story you come across.
- Are down with using data and analytics to improve and explore the resonance of a story and shape larger newsroom strategies.
- Are organized (in your way), and are comfortable communicating, prioritizing and asking for help when you need it.
This is a yearlong fellowship that’s probably best suited to someone with some industry experience, who’s also in the earlier stages of their journalism career. You won’t be managing anybody.
That said, if you don’t check all the above boxes but are seriously excited by what you’ve just read — try us! At ProPublica, we’ve hired lawyers, artists, private eyes and helicopter pilots to fill out our award-winning newsroom. We’re all learning all the time, anyway.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff) and remain committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form. Deadline to apply is Saturday, June 29, at 11:59 EDT.
The job is full-time and includes benefits. We are based in New York.
You can send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
We are also hiring for other positions. Here is our full list.
Want to know about other jobs at ProPublica? We have them.
If this job doesn’t sound right for you, we may have others that are. We are hiring. Here is where we list all of our jobs, and where you can sign up to be notified when there is an opening. Here are the various fellowships we offer for promising journalists who typically have less experience.