We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
ProPublica is looking for two creative and collaborative filmmakers to join our documentary and video department for a two-year fellowship. Do you report, produce, film and/or edit? Do you love creative storytelling and thinking outside the box? Come help us bring our investigative reporting to a wider audience.
You’ll work as part of a small films and video team. You’ll collaborate with all corners of our newsroom and external partners on documentary films and multimedia projects. We’re looking for candidates with strong backgrounds in producing, cinematography and editing. Must have a great sense of narrative and visual sensibility. Definitely apply if you have all these skills or even if you specialize in just one of them. These positions will work on a variety of projects with different rhythms and timelines, from short-form explainers and short documentaries to long-form series and features.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are talented multifaceted visual storytellers.
- Have extraordinary producing skills and gorgeous cinematography skills.
- Can dig, research, produce and film in the field.
- Edit video creatively and have edited their own work, as well as the work of others.
- Have a journalism background and understand journalistic ethics. Experience in investigative reporting is a big plus, but not required.
- Are adept at figuring out how to translate complex issues into smart and stunning visuals.
- Are interested in pushing the boundaries of what investigative journalism can look like on film in a range of forms, including stories that are nonnarrated and character-driven.
- Have graphics, illustration or animation experience, as a plus, not a requirement.
- Love experimenting and innovating.
- Have empathy, a kind heart and zero ego; are big believers in generous and happy team ecosystems and working as a team to tell the best stories we can together.
- Love working with others and can also work independently.
- Have trauma literacy and experience working with sensitive topics, as a plus.
These positions are full-time and include benefits. ProPublica’s headquarters are based in New York City, although we are open to remote candidates. There will be occasional travel to New York and elsewhere to film and produce projects. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or any other status protected under applicable law.
What you should send us:
The application form is here. The most important part of it by far is your portfolio website and/or work examples. Please include links to projects you’ve worked on or contributed to and describe your role in detail. The deadline for applications is May 9.
Any questions? Email Executive Producer Almudena Toral at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.